Cost Competitive Bio-Sourced Chemicals from Clean, Non-Food Biomass
ABOUT THE COMPANYAnellotech is a sustainable technology company focused on producing cost-competitive renewable chemicals from non-food biomass – an unmet need for a very large addressable chemicals and fuels markets
Anellotech is developing an efficient and eco-friendly thermal catalytic process for converting non-food biomass into aromatics. These bio-based products, chemically identical to petroleum-based aromatics, are used to make important plastics such as polyester (polyethylene terephthalate or “PET”), polystyrenes, polycarbonates, nylons and polyurethanes that ultimately are transformed into consumer goods such as beverage bottles, food packaging, clothing, footwear, carpeting, automotive and electronic components, and more.
Anellotech's ultimate competitive advantage is its use of a one-reactor catalytic process. Also, by using renewable and readily available non-food inputs, such as wood, corn stover and bagasse, the Bio-TCat™ process is less expensive than to processes relying on sugar as a feedstock, and avoids competition with the food chain. As a result, these renewable-sourced chemicals are expected to be produced and sold profitably against identical, petroleum-derived BTX counterparts.
To accelerate development and drive cost-competitiveness, Anellotech’s world-class R&D team is jointly developing the Bio-TCat process through in-depth, highly interactive long-term partnerships with leaders in process development, catalysis, engineering design, and licensing. Anellotech’s strategic development, licensing and funding partners include:
- Johnson Matthey, a global specialty chemicals company that offers products for a diverse range of industries and who is a major catalyst supplier to the Process Industries, will co-develop and provide catalysts for the development program and will manufacture catalysts for commercial use;
- IFP Energies nouvelles (IFPEN), the French public research entity, will collaborate with Anellotech throughout the process development program. In addition to extensive activities at its R&D center in Lyon, France, IFPEN has dedicated three full-time senior engineers and technical experts to work at Anellotech’s U.S. location for two years, during the start-up of the TCat-8® development unit in 2016. Anellotech’s highly collaborative program leverages IFPEN’s specific expertise in catalytic reactor modeling, catalyst regenerator design and aromatics processing to provide additional depth and breadth of experience to the Bio-TCat development program.
- Axens, an international provider of licensed advanced technologies (45% of all refineries in the world have at least one Axens technology license), catalysts, adsorbents and services, has a global reputation for basic engineering design excellence, and technology licensing leadership in the production of aromatics, and is our partner for commercialization, global licensing, basic engineering design, start-up and technical support for licensees.
- Suntory, one of the world’s leading consumer beverage companies, has partnered with Anellotech to advance the development and commercialization of cost-competitive bio-aromatics, including bio-paraxylene, the key component needed to make a 100 percent bio-based PET beverage bottles. The partnership, an example of Suntory’s commitment to sustainable business practices, began in 2012 under a collaboration agreement that has provided more than $15 million in funding to date.
- Toyota Tsusho Corporation, is the Toyota Group's general trading company that develops diversified businesses through more than 990 consolidated companies in Japan and overseas, with customers around the world, via a global network covering Japan and more than 90 countries worldwide. With various activities, the group provides products and services in a broad range of business domains that are essential to achieving the creation of a prosperous and fulfilling society. Toyota Tsusho Corporation is listed in the Tokyo Stock Exchange as well as in the Nagoya Stock Exchange. Toyota Tsusho announced publicly its investment in Anellotech in July 2016.
To request a copy of an overview presentation about Anellotech and the Bio-TCat process, please click on this link: Contact Us